Who can join as a Moderator?
Researcher users (Researcher role) with login access to the study’s workspace can join as a moderator. They must already be logged in on validately.com.
Who can join as a Note-taker?
Researcher users (Researcher role) and Collaborator users with login access to the study’s workspace can join as a Note-taker. They must already be logged in on validately.com. (See here for how to join the session as Note-taker.)
How do you join as a test participant or observer?
Enter your name and email and the moderator will take over from there. They do not need a Validately login to join the session. (If they have a log in, they should first log *out* of Validately.com, then click the session link to join as seen here.)
What can each role do?
The moderator is the only one that can be seen and heard by the test participant. If you wish, multiple researchers with researcher logins can join as a moderator from their own devices. (Collaborator role cannot be moderator)
The moderator has full control over the session. They can:
- Select the test participant from the waiting room
- Start/end the session
- Start/end the recording
- Prompt the test participant to share their screen
- Toggle any participant’s microphone on or off
- Toggle the mic/camera of the test participant on or off
- Kick any participant or observer out of the session
The note-taker has limited control. They can:
- Take live time-stamped notes, tag topics, flag moments
- See a list of all participants in the session
- Unmute their microphone so that moderator and test participant can hear them.
- Be seen on camera
The person who will be interviewed and/or do the usability test, we call the Test Participant.
They have very limited control. This is by design. They can:
- See and hear the moderator
- Text chat with the moderator
- If prompted by the moderator, they can share their screen
- Leave the session at any time by closing the browser tab
The test participant cannot:
- See or hear anyone EXCEPT the moderator and note taker (when unmuted)
Observers have very limited control, similar to the test participant, again by design. They can:
- Watch and hear the session live without a Validately login
- Private text chat with everyone EXCEPT for the test participant
- Be seen or heard by anyone
- Take notes in Validately
Additional Important Information
To join a session, EVERYONE will use the same link. It looks similar to this:
https://validately.com/session/31ccec4-f731-4d3e-9e46-4e8a106cx0b4 (not a real link)