Set yourself and your testers up for success during your study sessions!
We recommend closing out all apps that are not needed for the test session so as much of the phone's resources can be dedicated to the interview and tasks given.
The participants will be prompted by our system to download the app when they click the link to join the study, but some people like to prepare ahead of time!
Everyone must be on the latest version of Google Chrome or MS Edge (Chromium) to complete study sessions.
If an extension is needed, the participant will be prompted to install it when they go through the tech check.
Tasks will be under a green button that you can show/hide as needed. This button can also be moved to any corner of your screen.
You'll see this tutorial when you first click the link to start your test:
• Testers can complete this system check to ensure that everything is ready before their scheduled session time:
• When participating in studies, please do so from the strongest/most stable network connection possible. If at all possible, ethernet connections offer the most reliable experience, as this provides a hardwired, physical connection that does not fluctuate as much as a wireless connection can. We recommend avoiding cellular connections where possible.
• Remember that a lot of bandwidth is required, as you are using audio, video, and screensharing all at once.
• Speed is one part of this equation, and can be tested with https://bandwidthplace.com
• Firewalls or VPNs can also cause connectivity problems. Here is how to adjust those settings, open ports and whitelist the provider.
• Sound and camera problems are often resolved with the steps listed in this article.
- We recommend using a headset with microphone.
- Using a Mac and stuck in a weird loop of checking mic, starting screenshare, checking mic, starting screenshare? That is likely because of a change that Apple made to screensharing permissions. Here's how to fix that!
- Remember to speak aloud during your test. The researchers want to hear your thoughts and feedback as you complete the tasks. There's no right or wrong answer. Have fun!